NEW BLOG

3.21.2011: as a new Spring wetted San Francisco's hills, Join Me for Breakfast [JMB] moved under a drier roof.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fall 2010 - The Art of Presentation

Taught by career coach Luke "LukedIn" Kreinberg, this class was a sort of part 2 of "The Importance of Relationships" [led by Stella Humphries and Charlie Kouns]. In fact, both classes focus more on the body and the mind, rather than simply I.Q.
I've found this to be true in most all of the other classes and activities I do in my life.
The 15 classes included mindfulness exercises, guest speakers from different industries, group discussions, strangers' encounters, journaling, eye contact, stances, gestures, voice, and so on.
But more than all these great notions, what Luke's, Stella's, and Charlie's classes made me realize is that:

- The school system is outdated, limited, and in strong need for change;
- The way society is evolving requires and gives the chance for an essential look at our “selves”;

In the past generations, people were directed since their childhoods to achieve roles in society considered privileged and respected [ask your grandma, or mom, what they dreamed you could be: a doctor? a lawyer?]; my generation, however, is discovering that there isn't such a "better" job than the other. More and more, the idea of “passion” is growing in us; the desire and belief that no matter what I do, as long as I love it, I can do it, be great at it, and be respected for it.
But then I look at how school makes us grow and I see nothing but walls blocking us from looking at our selves to think and ask who we are, where we come from, what makes us tick, what our strengths and weaknesses are, what kinds of talents we have, what passions we are developing, and THEN realizing how and where to apply such interests. Wouldn’t be that healthier for us and the world?

I consider myself extremely lucky to be "only" 22 and having got the opportunity to think about this.
At the same time, I wonder if at 22 I should be spending this time discovering this, or spending it to apply this theory into my life [relationships, career, education].
I see most of us adapting to a certain job previously chosen, rather than putting our selves into a job that we decide once we clarify who we are; and I wonder.

Credit: Justin Donnelly
Thanks Starsky for the collaboration

2 comments:

Maria Norcia Santillanes said...

Good post! It really is all about the passion one puts into their work. Without it, it seems life can only be mediocre. Seems to be a great deal of fear in our current educational system. It's why I am so passionate about the WISE Program which bridges the gap between high school and the real world of college and work. I invite you to look at our website to see what we do and let me know your thoughts.
Maria Norcia Santillanes
WISE Services
http://wiseservices.org/home/

the Apopotamus said...

Thank you Maria.
I took a look at the WISE Program and I found the workshops to be great. They address many elements of education that should be implemented in every school system. I would love to visit one of the schools next time I'll be in New York, if possible.
I support your mission.