NEW BLOG

3.21.2011: as a new Spring wetted San Francisco's hills, Join Me for Breakfast [JMB] moved under a drier roof.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Spend some time with people you care, ALONE.


Last minutes in San Francisco before the summer



From the day I left San Francisco [June 20th ?], I had the chance to spend time with people and in places that I missed and enjoyed.
I spent one night in New York at Philippe's house, met for an awaited and beautiful lunch with Martin, and immediately left for Switzerland.

Lunch with Martin at Frying Pan, NYC

There I spent two days with my family and the day after [24th] my dad and I were on a plane for Corfu, Greece.
It's been 3 years [if not my whole life] that I hadn't spent more than 2 days alone with my dad. Because of his work, and now because of my distance, we felt the need to get closer, catch up, and relax in our favorite place on earth.
And so we left home to enjoy the boat, the sea, and our conversations. I came back tonight and while organizing the few pictures taken, I decided to write this post to tell everyone who reads this:

"Spend some time with people you care, ALONE. 
Go for an adventure, for a talk, for a walk. 
Be open, honest, and curious."

My father has always been the greatest example in my life, and listening to stories of our ancestors, tales from his past, and finding myself more and more similar to him, built an even stronger and deeper relationship between us. Together we set up projects, we discussed opinions, and shared fears and joys.
We both came back motivated, fortified, full of ambitions for our future, and believe it or not, I wish I was back in Lakka, having dinner with him, laughing and crying, agreeing and disagreeing, asking and sharing, until the sun rose; I wish I was still there when the bar closed and we took our little tender and sailed back to the boat where we drank one last glass of wine and went to sleep, knowing we'd just spent one of the most beautiful times of our lives, together.

Lakka, Paxos, Greece

For the rest of our week, we sailed around few harbors, rode scooters in Corfu, and met all kinds of people, from fishermen, to tourists; from friends, to new friends. With them we shared stories of our sailing adventures, but even more we got to listen to beautiful stories of people still sailing just by looking at the stars, fishermen predicting the catch by studying the moon phases, and all sorts of stories that I could not imagine possible in 2010.

Panaiotis, former crew member in Onassis' Christina, and fisherman in Syvota


Sunset in Syvota


In Marmaro, on our way to Ermones, planning the ride



[Most beautiful] Lunch in Ermones with my dad.



Kalami Beach, Corfu, Greece


In two weeks, I'll ride a Vespa to Ancona, jump on a ferry, sleep under the stars and in the morning I will be back in Corfu to enjoy a couples of days alone on the boat, until my brother and his two friends will arrive for a week that sounds like it is going to be fun, and dangerous... :)

to be continued...

No comments: