NEW BLOG

3.21.2011: as a new Spring wetted San Francisco's hills, Join Me for Breakfast [JMB] moved under a drier roof.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Make sure you spend more time there

I'm back in Switzerland, and I am already missing Greece.
But this morning I received an email from Fredrik Härén, author of The Idea Book.
Most likely, you've already heard people talking about it, especially if you're studying in a creative environment, where ideas are often at the center of everything you are working on.
But still, I found it very Interesting:

---------------------------------------------
Where do you get your best ideas?
I have asked more than 100 000 people this question: "When do you have your absolutely best ideas?"

The most common answer is:
- In the bed
- In the shower
- when traveling
- when exercising
and
- when i am with friends in a bar

Virtually no one says "When I am sitting at my desk at work"!

And still that´s where most people tend to work.

I never understood why.

So 3 out of the last 4 weeks I have spent on a island writing my next book.

For two reasons:

1) The island is amazing - as you can see - and I want my life to be as full of amazing moments as possible.

2) I know that I do my best writing when I am:

a) Close to water
b) Isolated
c) Relaxed

So sitting on an isolated island while writing tend to make my writing much better.

Where do you do your best work?
It might not be on an island, and then of course you should not work from one. But I am pretty sure it is not when sitting at your desk at work.

So think about that today: What does your perfect creative environment look like?

Then make sure you spend more time there.

Fredrik
---------------------------------------------
EAVB_OURVOHSZDZ

No comments: